[Dev] Anybody Listening?

Tom Bryan dev@trilug.org
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:39:08 +0000

On Thursday 08 August 2002 02:31 pm, Justin Johnson wrote:

> Does "Thinking in Java" do much in the way of real wprld examples?

No.  At least it didn't 4 years ago when I was reading it.  The examples
were made so that the author could present them at his group training
classes.  Thus, they are all bite-sized examples that only attempt to
illustrate the point at hand.  I remember being frustrated by the
example code, but the prose was pretty good.

> understand the basics principles of OOP, but as far as applying that
> to a real world problem, well I haven't gotten there yet. Is this a
> good book for that?

IMHO, no.  A co-worker once recommended a book that taught Java or some
Java library by implementing an entire application over the course of
the book.  I've forgotten the title (never read it), but I'll see if I
can track down the recommendation.

> I would really like to see a applied example of
> modeling classes based on real world objects / situations. I think
> this would help me get the hang of OO.

Understood.  I would probably go to SourceForge for that.  Ask around or
find an app that you like.  Then read the source code. :)

I think that "Design Patterns" is actually great for focusing on
techniques of object collaboration.

> > If you want something quick, easy, and OO, Python and/or Ruby
> > would be a good choice.
>
> I've heard Python mentioned before in this light. Any good book
> suggestions there?

I was fond of Programming Python.  It started with a simple little flat
script and then built it up, introducing new features in each chapter.
Later in the book, the chapters are more self-contained.  It was
written before Python 1.5.2, IIRC, and I'm not sure whether there has
been an update.

For an experienced programmer, Learning Python is probably a good
choice.  It seemed to introduce all of the essential features of the
language, some key libraries, and a few interesting tidbits at a good
pace.  I haven't actually read any other Python books.

Another option is your local Triangle Python User Group (plug!).
http://dev.zope.org/Members/tbryan/TriZPUG/FrontPage

---Tom