[Dev] Re: embarrassing patch question

John F Davis dev@trilug.org
Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:37:28 -0500

Hello

Ok. After much consternation its working now.  Many thanks to Greg KH who
pointed
out this gem on a document: linux/Documentation/SubmittingPatches file.  It
explains in
pointed detail the answer to my question about the prescribed method.  It
instructs
the user to use the dontdiff file list which contains more than just the
asm directory.
I forgot about autoconf.h and its ilk.  Also, when you use dontdiff you
don't need
to do a make mrproper beforehand.  you can build it with your object files
in place!

So to sum it up:

Building the patch:
diff -Nur -X dontdiff linux-2.4.2_hhl20.orig linux-2.4.2_hhl20 > k2.patch
Applying the patch:
patch -d linux-dir-to-patch -p1 < k2.patch

Many thanks to all who gave me a hand (That includes you Ed).

JD

ps. see the SubmittingPatches doc for how to get the dontdiff file list.

Jan Hudec <bulb@ucw.cz>@nl.linux.org on 02/28/2002 05:08:56 PM

Sent by:    kernelnewbies-bounce@nl.linux.org