[Dev] Representing Tree/hierachical data in a relational database

Tom Bryan dev@trilug.org
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:34:59 +0500

On Thursday 20 June 2002 12:36 pm, Brent Verner wrote:

> see if this helps.
>
>   http://www.intelligententerprise.com/001020/celko1_1.shtml
>
> If not, search for that link in the postgresql.org mailing lists
> (maybe pgsql-users) for other interesting comments on this question.

Thanks for that link.  I've never seen that solution to the "parts explosion"
or "bill of materials" problem before.  Of course, I think that the best
solution depends on how the data will be used.  His solution looked great for
apps that mostly need to query subtrees.  It would be horrible if most of the
queries are one-step drill-downs and the application makes frequent updates
to the tree structure itself.

---Tom