[Dev] Re: [Dev] HOWTO write a daemon

Peter Long dev@trilug.org
Fri, 24 May 2002 09:24:13 -0400 (EDT)

> Hello Mike,
>
> That was a good read.   I like the bit about 'and this unknown led to
> this unknown etc'.  You tracked down each unknown in turn and learned a
> lot.  I can identify with that.
>
> If the original poster wants to talk about what they plan to do in more
> detail, I'm sure we can all help.

Well thanks for the offer to help. I planned to turn my application in to a
daemon all along so I wrote it to have no interface. It does not rely on
the existence of stdin/stdout/stderr and I log everything using calls to
syslog(). So what I needed to know what how to detach the io streams and
whatever else was necessary for a process to be considered a daemon.

BTW: I was under the impression that just typing 'mydaemon&' would not work.
I thought that the process would be terminated when I logged off in any
case. Is there some way around that or am I just completely mistaken?

Thanks again for all the help.

--
Peter Long