[Dev] Re: [Dev] Re: [Dev] HOWTO write a daemon

Peter Long dev@trilug.org
Fri, 24 May 2002 12:49:06 -0400 (EDT)

> On Fri, 24 May 2002, [iso-8859-1] Peter Long wrote:
>
>> BTW: I was under the impression that just typing 'mydaemon&' would not
>> work. I thought that the process would be terminated when I logged off
>> in any  case. Is there some way around that or am I just completely
>> mistaken?
>
> It won't die if you trap the appropriate signals (like SIGHUP, signal
> 1).  SIGHUP is normally used to signal child processes that the user
> logged off; for daemons it's trapped and is often used to reread the
> configuartion file.
>
> Even if you're not writing a program, you can block SIGHUP with the
> "nohup" utility... read the man page for nohup (or "pinfo nohup" for
> the better documentation).  I think nohup also "nice's" the background
> process, which you may or may not want.
>
> --Jeremy

I assume trapping SIGHUP will work on any form on unix machine. The
application that I am writing has to work on Win2K, AIX and Linux. Making a
win2k service I can do. Hopefully daemons are implemented the same on both
AIX and Linux. :)

--
Peter Long
mailto:petelong@petelong.com