[Hosting] Re: [Steering] forge.trilug.org

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Mon Aug 25 10:31:29 EDT 2003

Ed Hill wrote:
| Not really.  Last I heard (+/-1.5 months ago), the GForge project had
| some rather broken PERL scripts that were supposed to automate a lot of
| these tasks but the scripts were old, had not been written in a clean
| (general for many different machine configs) fashion, and were
| considered dangerous.

Well, something to do.. :-)

| They had a note to the effect that "we'd be thrilled to have someone
| donate some better admin scripts in either PHP or PERL..."

Heh. :-)

| Unless you choose to create one, theres no connection between the
| passwds used inside GForge and the system passwds.  I consider that a
| feature.  ;-)

Oh cool.  Yeah, that's very nice.  So, we can give shell accounts
to trilug members, and gforge accounts to anyone we want and
they won't be tied together.  Cool.

|>Well, actually, with the wildcard DNS we shouldn't need to add
|>> any more.  Anything you specify will now automatically resolve
|>> to forge.trilug.org.
|

| No kidding?  Well, I'm learning something today!  I didn't know you
| could have wild-card or default DNS stuff.  Neat-o!

Yep.  It's very cool.

| =================================
| So the updated to-do list is now:
| =================================
|
|   - move /usr/share/gforge and postgresql DB to RAID on /local
|
|   - add TUX logo with TriFORGE
|

| Perhaps having the GForge passwds completely separated from system
| passwds (which is the default behavior) is the best?  I'd vote for
| that option.

Sounds good to me.

|>Ed, what are the chances of being able to run a Subversion server
|>in place of CVS?  Has anyone else done this?  One of the people
|>that had originally started to help setup the machine has asked
|>about this.
|

| Oh, cool.  Theres really only a very simple connection between CVS and
| GForge.  Basically, all GForge does is provide links for a ViewCVS or
| other CVS-to-html-browser-thing.  Perhaps that can be done with
| subversion?  Or maybe not yet?

Good question.  We should check into that.

| I'd recommend using subversion site-wide *only* if someone
|
|   1) demonstrates that it works and
|   2) makes a FIRM commitment to try to support it.

Hmm... I suppose we could run both and let those that want
subversion use subversion and those that are happy with CVS use
CVS.

| If you don't have CVS or a similar SCM then you loose a lot of the
| functionality and reasons for having the "forge-thing" in the first
| place.
|
| Oh, and then theres the learning curve for the users.  :-/  Perhaps
| subversion could be a project option?

That'd be cool with me.

Thanks very much, Ed, again, for getting this setup.  Note that I've
redirected this to the hosting list, which is really where the
discussion should be since that's the list that was setup to do
this.

For those of you just joining us, Ed Hill has done most of the hard
work in setting up a gforge server for trilug at forge.trilug.org.
It's not complete yet, but please take a look and comment.

Cheers,
Tanner
- --
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace(at)wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/
GPG Fingerprint = A66C 8660 924F 5F8C 71DA  BDD0 CE09 4F8E DE76 39D4
GPG Key can be found at http://wtl.wayfarer.org/lovelace.gpg.asc
Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little yellow bolts of light!
~                                Commander John Crichton (Farscape)