[Hosting] [Fwd: hardware for trilug?]

Mike Johnson hosting@trilug.org
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:49:07 -0500

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

Jeremy Portzer [jeremyp@pobox.com] wrote:

> ibm netfinity 5500 M10 rackmount server - 7 or 8U high, dual xeon 550s, 5=
12mb=20
> ram, serveraid II controller, 2x18gb and 4x9gb hotswap disks.  it only ha=
s=20
> two hotswap trays however, although with a little creativity you can get =
all=20
> of them plugged in and running (as i have done) or you can probably get i=
bm=20
> to donate the needed trays.  this is big heavy unit and will take up some=
=20
> rack space but hopefully the CPU power would be worth it.

It's an 8U that weighs around 75 pounds. =20
=20
> ibm exp15 rackmount scsi chassis - 3U high, holds 10 hotswap disks.  dual=
=20
> channel backplane, dual hotswap power supplies.  has all ten trays but on=
ly=20
> four are drilled for the disks, the rest need to be (anyone with a drill=
=20
> press should be able to do the job, but i don't have one).  plus twelve 9=
gb=20
> ultra160 SCA disks, brand new (enough to fill the unit plus two spares).

90GB of storage.  This is the same size as /mirrors on dargo (and a
couple spare drives).  I'm sure we could find some way to make holes.
=20
> ibm serveraid 3H controller - 64bit PCI (works in regular 32bit slots as =
well)
> w/ dual external and one internal channel, onboard battery backup.  and i=
=20
> have the cables if necessary, they fit both the controller and the exp15=
=20
> (very high density connectors).

Cool, internal and external are on different channels.  This is good.
Were we to go for this, we would definately need the cables.
=20
> my only problem is this (and i feel like a heel for saying it) but...  i =
had=20
> to buy the twelve 9gb disks myself (i intended to use the unit myself but=
 the=20
> size/power/noise makes it impractical).  i got a good deal on them but th=
ey=20
> still cost me about $200 out of pocket.  i'll glaly donate everything but=
=20
> would like to cover my costs for the disks so it zeroes out on my company=
's=20
> balance sheet.  i don't expect trilug to pay me cash for this stuff but m=
aybe=20
> we can swap some other hardware, maybe stuff that this equipment replaces=
? =20
> older servers, disks, memory, or whatnot.  i wish i were in a financial=
=20
> position to donate it all outright but my business is only six months old=
 and=20
> every penny counts right now.  i could probably sell this stuff on ebay f=
or=20
> at least a grand but i'd rather give trilug the option first.  if i can=
=20
> recover the $200 disk cost and just get a receipt for the rest that would=
=20
> work for me, and hopefully trilug would benefit as well.  if not, no prob=
lem,=20
> i'll just find some other outlet for it.

Here's a thought.  He's offering 162GB of online, available storage,
with a couple spares for the array.  The 11U of space this would take up
equates to 19.25" of space.  Dargo (I've never seen it) -has- to be
taller than that, and has less storage.  I wonder if Jason would accept
dargo as a swap?  Maybe sweeten the pot with the empty 2U case?

Anyone know how tall dargo is?  We have (I think) 36U allocated to us,
which equates to 63".  How much of our space does dargo use?

Mike
--=20
"If life hands you lemons, YOU BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH=20
 YOUR LASER CANNONS!" -- Brak

GNUPG Key fingerprint =3D ACD2 2F2F C151 FB35 B3AF  C821 89C4 DF9A 5DDD 95D1
GNUPG Key =3D http://www.enoch.org/mike/mike.pubkey.asc

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy--