[Linux-ham] RE: NC state amateur radio tags

Norman Young normany27597 at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 25 12:57:06 EDT 2006

You must have gotten someone who was new.  The ham plate program has been around for years, and DMV staff is intimately familiar with that plate.  I used to be the lawyer for the registration section of DMV, and I was closely involved in all license plate issues.

Of course, almost all of the tag offices are agencies run by private contractors, with varying levels of experience.  If you went to one of the tag agencies, you may have gotten someone who was not completely up to speed on what was available.  There are tons of special plates for just about every special interest group.

And Rob, knowing what it costs to produce the amateur plate, I have mixed feelings about eliminating the additional $10 fee.  If we don't pay the cost, the taxpayers will.  This plate, like any vanity plate, requires a special setup.  The additional fee just about covers the cost.

BTW, the profits made on the vanity plates (and there is a profit due to the higher fees) are used to fund the roadside beautification and wildflower planting programs.

Norman

Message: 1