[Linux-ham] Calling for Introductions

Rob Rousseau ki4bke at nc.rr.com
Wed May 24 13:36:02 EDT 2006

Hi Chris et all,
   My son turned 1 back in January.   :)   I live in Holly Springs, NC
and hold a Technician license that I got back in July 2003.   I am also
a member of the Triangle Linux User Group (www.trilug.org).  At some
point, some of the other local linux-hams that I knew (Tanner & Kevin)
started up this list and I joined seeking to increase my linux-ham
knowledge.  I work for one of the local big-tech companies in RTP doing
Middleware support.
   When I attend the Trilug meetings, I boot my laptop using an
AFU-Knoppix CD (http://www.afu-knoppix.de/).  The AFU Knoppix CD
contains software for the operating modes of PSK31, RTTY, SSTV, FAX,
APRS and packet radio. Additional applications for Sat tracking,
logging, locator referencing and antenna computation are also included.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to try all of these different modes yet.
    I have done a few HAM radio projects so far (a copper J-pole, a
Tinytrak3 for APRS and a RASCAL) (http://www.packetradio.com/) and am
working on the rollup J-pole and another APRS unit with an Axiom GPS
board (http://www.cvarc.org/).  These small projects are doable for me
as they are inexpensive and easy.
    Although HAM radio isn't my primary hobby (I am also a Model
Railroader & DJ), I do enjoy the electronics, comradery, and public
service that it promotes.  I am interested in weather & Skywarn and hope
to have a weather station running someday.  Another thing I want to
learn more about is IRLP, PSK and satellites (maybe try to build an
arrow antenna).  I do hope to study and pass my CW exam and upgrade to
General.
    Norman, you may also want to check out RUNT, a flash drive linux
distro that a fellow Trilug member developed.  http://runt.mybox.org/
I also took my Technician exam at your VEC session.  Thanks!
73,
-Rob Rousseau KI4BKE