[Linux-ham] Advice for a new ham

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Mon Apr 7 19:17:15 EDT 2008

Daniel Bartholomew <plumcreek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey everyone. I just received my Technician license in the mail last
> week, so I'm _very_ new to amateur radio. [...]
>
> Also, what logging or other Linux software would you recommend? I've
> seen xlog, but I would like to know what more experienced Linux Hams
> use and would recommend.
>
> Any other advice or equipment recommendations you may have for a new
> Ham with (currently) no equipment is welcome. After all, since I'm
> starting from scratch, I might as well start on the right foot. :-)

There have been a few articles lately in the various Linux magazines
specifically talking about distributions catering to Ham Radio, and
they listed some of the software that is included with them:

"Digipup: A Linux Live CD for Amateur Radio" (based on Puppy Linux)
http://www.linux.com/articles/114288

"Harv's Hamshack Hack" - A live ham radio distro based on Knoppix
http://hamshack-hack.sourceforge.net/

"The Not-Very-Technical Linux Ham Radio Page"
http://www.qsl.net/g0tvj/
More Bill Leonard's "On Air" pages of information:
http://www.qsl.net/kf8gr/
and his list of Linux software links:
http://www.qsl.net/kf8gr/linsoft.html

ARRL's "Linux, Software Radio and the Radio Amateur"
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/pdf/0210033.pdf   (dated 2003)

Linux Hamradio Application & Utilities Homepage   (list of links)
http://radio.linux.org.au/     (shorter list)
http://radio.linux.org.au/?sectpat=All&ordpat=title

Linux Software - Ham Radio  (list of links)
http://members.fortunecity.com/xe1bef/linuxsoftware.htm

Amateur Radio Shareware & Info Files from QRZ.Com   (list of links)
http://www.qrz.com/download/main/index.html

"Satellite Tracking with Linux"
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/212

--