[Linux-ham] radios

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Mon Jul 14 20:14:54 EDT 2008

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

>> FWIW, most HTs do accept external antenna connections and output 5W+
>> when on a 12VDC supply.  *With a good mobile antenna setup*, that's
>> plenty to get in to most local repeaters.
>
> I disagree, especially since Greg is in Youngsville.  That's exactly
> why I've moved away from using my HT in the car and gone entirely to
> mobile radios.

Given the same antenna, the question is whether the additional 10 dB or
so of power will overcome whatever is keeping 5W from doing the job.
It's also worth mentioning 2m and 70cm are different in this respect.
If 70cm couldn't get in at high power, I'd still hold out some hope 2m
might, since it gets through trees and over hills a *little* better.

FWIW, I run a Yaesu FT-8500 dual-band mobile and for repeater work
rarely move it off the 5W setting on either 2m or 70cm.  It's only when
I try to hit a repeater really far away, or do simplex without the
benefit of height, the extra power seems to make a difference.

Dave