[Linux-ham] FreeDV

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Thu Dec 27 21:30:23 EST 2012

Completely free HF digital voice in 1.1KHz of bandwidth:

http://freedv.org/

If you attempt to build this thing, you'll see that the automated
scripts go and get a bunch of libraries on its own. I freaked out a bit,
and fought for about 2 hours trying to get it to use the system
libraries on Ubuntu 12.04. Sadly, FreeDV does need something from the
newer versions of each of those libraries. There is an effort underway
to make it run on wxWidgets 2.8 [1], which is good since that's the part
that takes the longest to build.

Sadly I haven't been able to actually test the functionality since in
addition to the software fun I wrote about above, the add-in soundcard I
was hoping to use (an old SB Live! acquired from a hamfest) turned out
to be toast. I have it hooked up to my HF rig for receive only for now,
but I don't have an external HF antenna at the new house yet, so on to
the next step.

Perhaps some of you can make more progress and report back to the group.

73 de Kevin, N8VNR

[1] http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30216313