[Linux-ham] widely spread group with crappy radios

Tadd Torborg tadd at mac.com
Sun Mar 2 16:20:38 EST 2014

So… building a packet network…   I really did think this would be easier.

I now have two working Raspberry PI and TNC-PI dual-port nodes.  One of them is at my house, one is at KD4MBC’s house.  Both of us are in Raleigh.  He’s north east.  I’m north west.  Besides my station, I have 3 pair of UHF link radios, 3 UHF yagis, a spare 2m/440 base station omni, one 220 25w radio and two 2m 25watt radios for the project.

I have  BASH scripts which are sufficient to take a naked Raspberry PI with one or more TNC-PI and convert it into a working multi-port packet node using G8BPQ network node program and Minicom.  .

What can I do to help? I would like to get at least half a dozen stations on the air by end of April.  I’ll help where I can.

I’d like to know who would like to participate and what kind of outside antennas and mounting points you have available.
Please come back with your call signs.

You could also add yourself to the map and/or add antenna details.  I’d appreciate it if you’d mention if you could accept and mount-outside a 4’ long yagi if somebody wanted to donate a link to your station.  Mention any bands you cannot support a full-time link on.  6m, 2m, 220, 440 are possibilities.
http://goo.gl/maps/Ti0XI

I’m currently beaconing every 2 minutes on 145.03 looking to see who can hear me.

  Tadd

Tadd Torborg
tadd at mac.com