[Linux-ham] USB to serial

Ken Kuzenski ken.kuzenski at duke.edu
Tue Feb 23 14:10:05 EST 2016

Hey, many many thanks to everybody for the information and suggestions about my USB-to-serial cable problem.  (BTW, yes, the adapter shows up when I 'lsusb' but it does not appear in FLDIGI as a usable port.)

I may have found the lowest-tech workaround of all.  The problem is apparently with the USB-to-serial device ...  so I took a look around my Garden of Antiquated Computing Devices and found an old coal-fired IBM T-30 laptop with an actual serial port.  I fired it up and it's running Fedora 13, apparently without problems.  :-)  So this weekend I'll see if FLDIGI will run on the T-30; if so I'll just use a regular serial cable between the laptop and the radio.  :-)

Thanks again for the help!  73!  --ken ac4rd