[Trilug-announce] TriLUG Events: Don't miss out!

Lisa C. Boyd lisab@trilug.org
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 21:41:51 -0500

We've got many activities coming up in the next month, so put all of
them on all of your calendars. Don't miss out! The next class that we
have will probably be in late March/April. Stay tuned for more information!

Lisa Boyd
Outreach / Public Relations
Triangle Linux Group (TriLUG)

**Short List**
Monday, February 10, 2003      Eric S. Raymond Special Talk
Thursday, February 13, 2003    Open Source as a Worldwide Revolution
                                presented by Don Rosenberg (Reg mtg)
Saturday, March 1, 2003        Installfest at Durham Tech

**More Info**
Eric S. Raymond will be giving a special talk at 7:00 pm on Monday,
February 10th at the NC School of Science and Math Auditorium. Earlier
in the afternoon Mr. Raymond will be giving a talk at UNC. Both talks
are open to the public at no cost. This event is jointly sponsored by
iBiblio, TriLUG, and NC*SA.

Directions to NCSSM Auditorium:
http://www.trilug.org/ncssm_directions.php

UNC Talk Information:
http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20030127/013888.html

More on Eric Raymond:
Eric S. Raymond is an observer-participant anthropologist in the
Internet hacker culture. His research has helped explain the
decentralized open-source model of software development that has proven
so effective in the evolution of the Internet. His own software projects
include one of the Internet's most widely used email transport programs.
Mr. Raymond is also a science fiction fan, a musician, an activist for
the First and Second Amendments, and a martial artist with a Black Belt
in Tae Kwon Do.

His home page:
http://www.catb.org/~esr

Eric Raymond is on the Board of the Open Source Initiative and VA
Software. He is editor of "The New Hacker's Dictionary" and author of
"The Cathedral and the Bazaar." Eric has been a sparing partner of
Richard Stallman in the debate between "Free Software" and "Open Source"
software.

Eric Raymond was also the manager of the sunsite (now ibiblio) Linux
Archive for several years.

see also http://www.opensource.org/

**************************

Don Rosenberg will be giving a talk on "Open Source as a Worldwide
Revolution" for our regular meeting at 7:00 pm on Thursday, February
13th in the Dreyfus Auditorium at RTI. Free pizza and drinks will be
provided at this meeting. We will also be having a special election to
fill the Steering Committee spot. Nominations will be closed Monday,
February 3rd. You can email nominations to steering@trilug.org.

Directions to Dreyfus:
http://www.trilug.org/dreyfus_directions.php

For more information on Mr. Rosenberg's talk:
http://www.trilug.org/

Mr. Rosenberg's Corner:
http://www.consultingtimes.com

**************************

The next installfest will be Saturday, March 1, 2003, at at Durham Tech
Community College, Phillips Building room 308, starting around 10:30 am.

Directions to Durham Tech:
http://www.trilug.org/dtcc_directions.php

To assist us in planning installfests, we prefer (but do not require)
persons who are planning of bringing hardware to pre-register online
(it's free), so we know how many people and what type on systems to expect.

Preregistration:
http://www.trilug.org/if_registration.php

If you'd like to get Linux installed on your computer for free, or maybe
get a problem with your Linux computer solved, the installfest is for
you. Bring your computer and peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse,
power cables, power strips). Although we may have some extra
peripherals, they will be limited. Bring blank CDs if you'd like copies
of the latest distributions (fyi: Red Hat = 3 CDs; Mandrake = 3 CDs). If
you can't boot your computer from CD, bring a floppy disk or two.

All TriLUG members are encouraged to attend. Experienced users can help
the newbies, or just hang out. Newbies can soak in the intense Linux and
open source atmosphere, and learn a lot, too. There will be plenty of
geekdom for all! Bring a snack to share to make this an "Eat and Geek"
event; drinks will be provided. (However, please be neat and clean up
after yourselves!).