[TriLUG-announce] REMINDER: May 8 Meeting: SystemD and Steering Committee Elections

Barry Peddycord III bwpeddyc at ncsu.edu
Mon May 5 12:51:04 EDT 2014

Topic: SystemD
Presenter: David Both
When: Thursday, 8th May 2014, 7pm (pizza from 6.45pm)
Where: NC State Engineering Building II Room 1021, Centennial Campus
Parking: The parking decks and Oval Drive street parking are free
after 5pm
Website: http://trilug.org/2014-05-08/systemd

This presentation will briefly review the Linux boot process and the
old SystemV startup process. It will then discuss in more detail the
startup process using systemd, and the reasons for creating the new
systemd daemon and some of the advantages it provides. We will also
discuss configuration files and some of the more common commands
required to cause systemd to do our bidding. Backward compatibility
will also be covered.

Note that we will be having our elections on May 8. To vote in the
elections, you will need to be a TriLUG "member".  If you filled out a
membership form at the April meeting or before, you are all set.
Voting will be performed by paper ballot during the May meeting, and
you must be present to vote.

In addition to voting for the new steering committee, there will be a
vote to approve the new bylaws of Trilug, which is being done to
improve our ability to register as a nonprofit charity with the IRS.
For the most part, the new bylaws are being created by refactoring the
articles of incorporation and separating out day to day business from
"What makes us Trilug". More information will be presented at the meeting.