[TriLUG-announce] Fwd: TriLUG Meeting Thursday, 9 June - Open Hardware for Fun and Profit

Jeremy Davis jeremyhwllc at gmail.com
Mon May 23 22:59:34 EDT 2016

Ok folks, your June TriLUG meeting is destined to be awesome on many
levels. Open hardware, open software, open business model, crowd-funding,
lessons learned, and really cool things to see!

For a teaser sample, checkout "Building the Colossus LED Display" video.
https://youtu.be/6qzRQ0Hsj3Q

Find more at http://maniacallabs.com

It just so happens they recently launched a new Kickstarter campaign! Check
it out, back it, spread the word etc..

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maniacallabs/longpixel-digital-control-for-analog-led-strips

Save the date and we will see you there!

Topic: Open Hardware for Fun and Profit
Presenter: Adam Haile and Daniel Ternes
When: Thursday, 9 June 2016 - 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Where: Bandwidth, NC State Centennial Campus
Parking: The parking deck in the Venture Center is free after 5pm

http://trilug.org/Open-Hardware-for-Fun-and-Profit

Abstract:
You've been having the "Fun", now you're thinking about the "and Profit."
Where to start? What challenges and benefits does an Open mindset bring to
the Business table? Licenses: How do they work? While we can't tell you how
to get rich quick, we can share our experiences in starting and running a
small company based on Open principles. Hopefully we'll answer some of your
questions along the way.

The Maniacal Labs team will discuss topics such as: Creating open hardware
and software in your spare time, for fun and profit. Leveraging the power
of open source to make a better product. What worked for us. What did not
work. How open source tools make for a better open source product.
Crowdfunding and engaging with the community. The ups and downs of open
source licensing, especially in the world of hardware.

Company and Speaker Bios

Maniacal Labs is an Apex, NC based open hardware and software company that
specializes in digital art and all things bright and flashy. Our first
product, the AllPixel, is like a universal translator for all variety of
digital LEDs and was quite successfully launched on Kickstarter in 2014. We
aim to educate, enable, and help prove that open source can work for all
aspects of business. By night, we are Maniacal Labs, but by day, we are:

Adam Haile - Senior Software Engineer at Red Hat, working on continuous
integration of the Red Hat suite. Spends all of his free time working on a
variety of open source code to facilitate a love of code and lighting as a
digital art-form. Before the artistic calling, he developed other projects
such as Elpis, an open Pandora Radio client with over 60k users to date.

Dan Ternes - Test Engineer at EMC, providing hardware Failure Analysis for
Manufacturing operations. An appreciation for the meeting of Hardware and
Software has lead to years of tinkering with microcontrollers to realize
tangible, and occasionally useful creative works. By sharing his projects,
ideas, and experiences, he hopes to give back to the communities that have
taught him much.

http://trilug.org/Open-Hardware-for-Fun-and-Profit

Jeremy Davis
TriLUG PR