[Trilug-ontopic] Email servers

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Fri Oct 5 22:27:41 EDT 2007

Ok, a month later he (myself) has gotten the Postfix server up. I have
been working from the documents off the Postfix.org site and the Howtos
off the Ubuntuforums.org site.

The install went well and I was immediately able to telenet on port 25
and connect to the Postfix server. I have been working to make sure
that only the machines on my local network can submit mail (mynetworks)
and only the users I have specified (relay_recipient_maps)can send mail.
That is a little paranoia that originates from last year when I
discovered that my first server was a porn spamming zombie.

The trouble is I think I gone overboard and have the thing locked down
so tight I cant even send mail out ... well sorta.
The local mail I am able to send does this fine. Mail leaves the machine
with the specified domain address (myorigin). The mail generated from
the cisco box gets bounced.

What the logs are telling me that the local user does not exist (the
sender) and the server bounces the traffic. I think that the trouble
may lie with the myorigin or the mydestination parameters. I dont
think that I quite understand how they work. Of course there is the
thing about the rewriting address and restricting recipients, aliases,
getting the domain address to appear like I want it ... and a dozen other
things.

Of course I need to show what exactly the mail logs were saying and how my main.cf is set.
Yes, have to remember to get those.

CUL,

Neil Little, WA4AZL
JARS Forever!!