[Trilug-ontopic] Using a linux DNS server with Active Directory

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Thu Sep 13 21:24:51 EDT 2007

I scanned the doc. It seems to be fairly well written and accurate (outside the interwoven marketing blurbs obviously added by some MS PR droid...).

If this were my network, I would run my internal DNS on the AD server and let my BIND servers be a secondary for the client machines. DNS takes over the old job of WINS so there are times when you will want it to be dynamically updated for internal access to certain resources.

Use "dig" to find out the relative lookup times on the AD server verses your BIND servers. I'll wager that there's not much of a noticable difference.

I've interwoven Linux, BSD, and Windows for years. There is always a place for Linux in your network... but if you've already paid the price for the Windows server, you might as well get you money's worth out of it.

As for my company, all our apps are hosted... and pretty much web-enabled. MS only makes guest appearances on some workstations. I think the era of the AD network is on the wan. Hosting and virtualization become easier and easier and thus saner choices for businesses.

Jon (platnum reseller for Novell back in 1991) Carnes