[Trilug-ontopic] CentOS/Fedora/RHEL? was: RHEL5 help..

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Tue Jun 3 14:14:00 EDT 2008

 > BTW: what's the difference between CentOS, Fedora, and RHEL?

Fedora is like Red Hat's version of Debian "unstable".  It's the place
where stuff gets developed by the community.  Once its working the way
Red Hat likes to install into an enterprise, they pull it into RHEL.
The day after they release, a couple of yahoos [1] recompile it all,
taking out all Red Hat artwork and they call it CentOS.

[1] And I use the term "yahoos" in the best possible sense.  These guys
are great.  But they have no affiliation to Red Hat.  My employer makes
great use of CentOS (and then we have our own yahoos who add our own
special sauce to the mix).

Alan

.