[Trilug-ontopic] Device Mapper, LVM, LUKS

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Mon Aug 8 12:54:19 EDT 2011

Alan Porter Mon, 08 Aug 2011 10:32:08 -0400
>> However, after you get your current mess cleaned up, you may want to
>> look at LVM. I use it all over the place, even on my laptop.

Yes, it's on my todo list (after fixing my swap and moving to LMDE).

>> I gave a presentation on LVM (and RAID and LUKS) to the
>> LUG back in January. There are some starter notes inside.

>> http://trilug.org/~porter/meetings/2011-01-13_AlanPorter_raid-lvm-luks.odp

Thanks! very interesting, though I note it says "there are lots of ways
to very quickly get into trouble! Practice with loop devices before
jumping into your main HD."

>> Blog post about encrypting your entire disk:
>> http://blog.alanporter.com/2011-04-25/crypto-root

Michael Hrivnak Mon, 8 Aug 2011 11:18:50 -0400
> +1 for Alan's LVM plug and for whole-disk encryption.  In addition to
> the great instructions he has on his blog, you can also do it with the
> text-based debian installer

What is that called? And how to access it?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>