[Trilug-ontopic] OT: NC Senator Kay Hagan's bill to eliminate overtime for IT workers

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 13:16:23 EST 2011

This seems to be real.  If this is the wrong list because it's not directly
related to Linux, my apologies.  With a bill this far-reaching I thought
that it was related to our community as fellow employees:

Section 13(a)(17) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (29 U.S.C.
213(a)(17)) is amended to read as follows:

(17) any employee working in a computer or information technology
occupation (including, but not limited to, work related to computers,
information systems, components, networks, software, hardware, databases,
security, internet, intranet, or websites) as an analyst, programmer,
engineer, designer, developer, administrator, or other similarly skilled
worker, whose primary duty is–

(A) the application of systems, network or database analysis techniques and
procedures, including consulting with users, to determine or modify
hardware, software, network, database, or system functional specifications;

(B) the design, development, documentation, analysis, creation, testing,
securing, configuration, integration, debugging, modification of computer
or information technology, or enabling continuity of systems and
applications;

(C) directing the work of individuals performing duties described in
subparagraph (A) or (B), including training such individuals or leading
teams performing such duties; or

(D) a combination of duties described in subparagraphs (A), (B), and (C),
the performance of which requires the same level of skill;

who is compensated at an hourly rate of not less than $27.63 an hour or who
is paid on a salary basis at a salary level as set forth by the Department
of Labor in part 541 of title 29, Code of Federal Regulations. An employee
described in this paragraph shall be considered an employee in a
professional capacity pursuant to paragraph (1).’

http://www.standalone-sysadmin.com/blog/2011/11/usa-computer-professionals-update-act/

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s112-1747

Greg