[Trilug-ontopic] apt-get broken again on my debian box

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Apr 25 16:16:02 EDT 2012

> Looks like I missed the boat to do an apt-get dist-upgrade

Remember that dist-upgrade does not upgrade you to a new release. It's
very similar to plain old upgrade. The difference is that upgrade pulls
in new versions of packages that you already have, and dist-upgrade will
also pull in any newly referenced packages.

To upgrade to a new release, you need to update the source lists in
/etc/apt/sources and then do an "apt-get update" and "apt-get
dist-upgrade". Ubuntu systems have a nice wrapper script that does all
of this for you, called "do-release-upgrade".

--
# ɹǝʇɹoԀ uɐl∀