[Trilug-ontopic] IPv6 mail on pilot

Aaron Schrab aaron at schrab.com
Wed Apr 25 20:12:21 EDT 2012

Even though pilot now has IPv6 connectivity the mail services on it are
only listening on the IPv4 address.  So other systems with IPv6
connectivity are likely trying that first, then falling back to v4 when
that connection is denied.  Both postfix and dovecot are pretty easy to
get running with both.

For postfix, just adding "inet_protocols = ipv4,ipv6" to the main.cf
should suffice.  Although adding IPv6 networks to the mynetworks
variable would likely be a good idea as well.  My configuration
automatically had "[::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128" included in that to
allow the IPv6 loopback address and the IPv4 loopback network mapped to
IPv6.  Adding "2001:470:8:11ec::2/64" would allow other hosts on the
trilug network to relay mail through pilot.

For dovecot it should just require changing the listen and ssl_listen
directives.  On my server I just have "listen = *, [::]" at the top
level of my dovecot.conf, telling it to listen on all IPv4 and IPv6
addresses with the default port for each protocol.  To do the same on
pilot, the listen and ssl_listen directives in the "protocol imap"
section would need to be removed.  Since the default ports are being
used, this shouldn't be a problem.