[Trilug-ontopic] Raspberry Pi and omxplayer

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Sun May 25 14:19:13 EDT 2014

History:  I had, for many years, used an Apple TV 1 when I took weekend
trips and vacations to the Outer Banks as mobile video library.  Rather
than carry a stack of DVD I would rip my favorites and simply carry the
Apple TV.  Last month, after years of faithful service, the Apple TV
breathed its last and went to the great electronics bin in the sky.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to replace the ATV1 with an
open-source alternative that being a Raspberry Pi (which I love) and a
large USB thumb drive containing the movies.  Playback works and works well
- except for the keyboard controls.  If you try to do anything (pause, skip
chapter, fast-foward) the screen goes blank, the scene where you were
blinks on and off the screen for a bit and and it never seems to recover.
 The USB drive is a 2.0.. I'm wondering if it's a bandwidth thing?  Would
going to a USB 3.0 drive solve this or am I simply asking too much out of a
machine with limited resources?

TL;DR - is anyone using a Raspberry Pi for video playback and if so how did
you get the controls to work?  What's your setup?