[TriLUG] More code red data

Steve Kuekes skuekes at mail.com
Fri Aug 10 08:08:37 EDT 2001

My cable modem has been receiving data at an brisk rate ever since code red
started, even when I'm not using my computers.  I've noticed that this
additional traffic has slowed my internet access.

Well yesterday I installed a linux ethernet sniffer on my firewall/web server to
see what the traffic was.  And the results are over 250,000 arp requests for
non-existent ip addresses sent to my system in just over 12 hours last night.
Thats 20,800 an hour or ~350 per minute or about 5 per second.  I'm still
getting hits on my web site for default.ida, but that has slowed to about
300-400 per day since last sunday.

I'm thinking I might call time warner and complain that they need to do
something about this......

--
Steve Kuekes

Private Pilot: N9259R '95 Saratoga based at Sanford-Lee County Regional (TTA)
email: skuekes at mail.com