[TriLUG] Yaller Dawg...feh!

Matt Matthews jvm at linuxgames.com
Sun Aug 12 07:28:33 EDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 01:47:01AM -0400, Mike Johnson wrote:
> I'm planning on dropping an IDE card in the box so I don't have to go
> buy larger SCSI drives.  It -should- work.

The 9500 models have problems with audio stuttering when using an IDE PCI
card, which is why I've stayed away from that path for now. From what I can
tell (www.xlr8yourmac.com user report database searches as well as the FAQ on
IDE PCI cards), your 7500 might have the same problem. Of course, one can
always hope that this isn't a problem with the Linux drivers, but I'm not
betting on it.

> OSX is just -sweet-.  We just bought a G4/733 for my wife.  OS X is really
> just slicker than snot.  Imagine having the ability to run a lot of the
> apps you can only get on closed source OSes (Quicktime, Office, Diablo II)
> with all the open source tools you're used to.  Oh, and iTunes is simply
> the best MP3 tool out there.

Argh. Must...resist temptation...to...buy new...iBook. AUGH! ;^)

> Then again, I'd imagine it might be a bit on the slow side on a 604/150.

Well, I may just verify that it installs and runs first, since reports are
that it will even install on non-G3 machines with the "Unsupported Utility X"
hacked-together installer. The long term goal is to drop a G3 or G4 upgrade
into it. Then it'll be on the faster side of slow, at least. :^)

Regards,
matt

--
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2859                         \ Use        _o)
Duke University    \ em: jvmatthe at math.duke.edu               \ GNU/Linux /\\