[TriLUG] Security question

Chris Knowles knowlesc at telocity.com
Mon Aug 13 15:32:00 EDT 2001

I've got a question for all teh security conscious people out there...

If you are running telnet and an unpatched WU-FTPD and need to have CVS
pserver running...

OK, I'm just kidding. :)

I'm in the process of revamping my firewalls to have the latest and greatest,
and I've been playing around with portsentry.  However, I don't think that an
IPCHAINS or IPTABLES firewall with DENY policies will allow the packet to get
far enough to be detected by portsentry.  (at least, portsentry doesn't see a
scan when the policies are turned on, but does when they aren't in effect.)

So, is it better to have a firewall that drops almost everything to the
ground, or one that is open until it detects a scan?  My gut says to drop
everything, if they can't get in they can't get in.  But, it's kinda neat to
see the attempted scans.

Or do I just not grok the setup of portsentry?  (entirely possible, I've only
been playing with it for a few hours.)

Thanks again.