[TriLUG] YPBIND question: RedHat 7.0 vs. 7.1

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 16:31:06 EDT 2001

disclaimer: I know just enough about YP to be dangerous.

I had recently configured several of our test lab
machines with RedHat 7.0 and had muddled my way thru
enough YP docs to find the simplest YP configuration
only required:
- An NISDOMAIN entry in /etc/sysconfig/network
- Add 'domain <domainname> broadcast' to /etc/yp.conf

I've setup many machines this way (someone else
configured the server) under RedHat 7.0 without
incident.  We recently installed 7.1 (clean install)
and the above steps will not get YP working.
Starting the YPBIND service results in a failure with
the following in /var/log/messages:
"attempting to contact ypserver failed"

The YP server is functioning...as the rest of our
office is using it successfully.

My short-term fix is to install 7.0 and deal with
this problem later...but eventually I'll have to
deal with it.

Any suggestions for some resources I can use to
research this problem?  I don't know where to
start...(besides google...)

TIA,
Chris

Chris Merrill