[TriLUG] openoffice and java

rpjday rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 15 16:49:32 EDT 2001

On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Bill Vinson wrote:

> I believe it expects to find the java executables in your path.  Can you
> type 'java' and actually have it execute?  If not, I would suggest
> adding the /usr/java/bin/whatever to your path and trying the installer
> again.
>
> Bill

i haven't had a chance to try this yet, but i'd be awfully annoyed if
it solved the problem, for a couple of reasons.

first, the fact that i want to run open office (which apparently wants
a JRE) in no way implies that i, as a user, would ever theoretically
want to run java directly.  so requiring that it be in my search
path would be asking me to make available to execute a program that
i never plan on running.

and second, during the OO installation, the very dialog that complains
that there is no JRE also gives you a browse window, which clearly
seems to suggest you can tell OO where to find the JRE.  which, of
course, fails miserably even when you take OO to the JRE directory
and rub its little nose in it.

i just posted to the OO discussion list, so we'll see if i'm just
forgetting something obvious.

rday