[TriLUG] local dsl

Don Brady dbrady at comintel.com
Thu Aug 16 18:09:40 EDT 2001

rpjday at mindspring.com wrote:

>  someone recently recommended speakeasy as an option for local
>dsl.  i checked out their web page, and it appears that even basic
>service is $90/month, as opposed to uniformly

When you say uniformly,   you are likely referring to those ISP's that
partner with BellSouth and use its DSL infrastructure.   These are
BellSouth.Net, Earthlink/Mindspring, and Telocity/Directtv.    Those
ISP's use BellSouth's DSL Multiplexors and ATM cloud.  I would say this
was originally an inferior, consumer targeted service level.    It  has
improved somewhat.  About 50% of your money goes to BellSouth when you
use any of these.

Originally, it was not possible to get a static IP on the BellSouth DSL
based services but now you can, only from Directtv/ Telocity.

Originally, Speakeasy was the best way to get a static ip.    They use
Covad, which has its own DSLAM's etc. and pays BellSouth only for an
unbundled local loop.

Most people in BellSouth territory  now use DirecttvDSL/ Telocity as the
best way to get a single IP and 1500/256 speed ADSL.   As you say, it is
cheaper.