[TriLUG] remote mounting of home directories

RobbyD at bops.com RobbyD at bops.com
Fri Aug 17 08:01:25 EDT 2001

Here's my dilemma.

I'll be going off to college soon. I plan on having a server at my dorm
room, and a laptop I use for everything else. I want to be able to mount my
home directory from the server on the go. The server will most likely be
running FreeBSD, while the client will be running Linux. Now, from what I
see I have a few options here:

1. Still have a minimal home dir on my laptop, since if I use an NFS mount
for /home/myusername and couldn't get to it, I'd be screwed. Mount the NFS
homedir at like /mnt/nfshome or something, and manually put files on the
server's homedir when I get the chance, if I've been using the laptop on the
road.
2. If something like this exists, have something that replicates the
server's copy of the homedir on my laptop, allowing me to work offlile when
I can't be connected to the internet, then when I do have an active internet
connection, will automatically synch up with the server's copy and publish
changes. This would be great.

Another very important condition is that the process has to be secure. My
first thought was tunneling NFS through SSH. But, I've seen how NFS freaks
out when the network goes down, and I was wondering if anyone knew of some
other network-based filesystem which is more tolerant/robust in this
condition. If there was something that did my #2 solution with a good deal
of transparency, I'd go for that in a heartbeat.

Thanks!

Robby

Robby Dermody
Bops, Inc.
 <http://www.bops.com/> www.bops.com - robbyd at bops.com
919-403-6757 x191<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

This message, and any attachments which may accompany it, are for the sole
use of the intended recipient's and may contain information that is
confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy
all copies of the original message.