[TriLUG] remote mounting of home directories

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Fri Aug 17 12:46:06 EDT 2001

On Friday, August 17 2001, Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney said:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 12:06:25PM -0400, Donald Ball spoke thusly:
> > afs or coda would seem to be the ideal solution, but perhaps overly
> > complex. how about a nice simple cvs solution? make a cvs directory on
>
> That all depends. If Robby is going to NCSU or UNC, he'll need AFS
> access anyway. Creating a private cel might not be all that bad, if he
> has to install it anyway.

Need is a bit strong.  And creating your own AFS cell just for
synchronizing between a laptop and a desktop is a bit insane IMO.  The
setup is non-trivial and then you still have problems with disconnected
operation (and if you're not going to be disconnected at times with a
laptop, then you really don't need or want a laptop :)

> > your server, create a repository for each of your projects, and keep a
> > working copy checked our on your laptop. plus you get (some amount of)
> > version control for free!
>
> This is, i admit, an ideal solution. Y'know, robby, you can create a
> private ssh'able cvs repository on *ANY* machine that you have shell
> access on....

Yep, for code and such, this works nicely.  Also allows you to keep
your desktop settings more in line with the difference in resolution
between your desktop and laptop.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz
katzj at linuxpower.org	| jlkatz at eos.ncsu.edu
http://linuxpower.org	| Developer, NCSU Realm Kit for Red Hat Linux
GPG fingerprint: 367E 8B6B 5E57 2BDB 972A 4D73 C83C B4E8 89FE 392D