[TriLUG] Re: remote mounting of home directories

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Fri Aug 17 15:42:12 EDT 2001

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 trilug-request at trilug.org wrote:

>I'll be going off to college soon. I plan on having a server at my dorm
>room, and a laptop I use for everything else. I want to be able to mount
>my home directory from the server on the go. The server will most likely
>be running FreeBSD, while the client will be running Linux. Now, from
>what I see I have a few options here:

Well, I've never actually used it, but you might look into
the Coda Filesystem (http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/) by the people
that originally came up with AFS.  One nice thing about it is
that it was designed for "disconnected operation for mobile computing",
which would seem to go well with your laptop setup.  I've also heard,
however, that it requires a lot of disk space to do right, so
YMMV.

Tanner Lovelace
--
Tanner Lovelace       | Have we sent the "Don't shoot, we're pathetic"
lovelace at wayfarer.org | transmission yet? - Commander John Crichton