[TriLUG] Mandrake 8.1 (AGGGHH) -- whyohwhy?

Daniel T. Chen crimsun at email.unc.edu
Wed Aug 22 09:32:27 EDT 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Brett Bolen wrote:

> AGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.....
>
> well, It turns out that it doesn't prompt me for the second
> cd.  I found some rpms on the second cd, and installed
> them.

Hrm, it prompted me for the second CD in both "recommended" and
"expert" install modes. I guess it depends on your overarching package
category selection (desktop computer, etc.).

> I found ncftp.   (but ftp doesn't install..)

Does ncftp rpm -i correctly?

> I found emacs, but it doesn't install ( rpm -U works, but the
> executable file doesn't get loaded).

> Anyway I downloaded a 2.4.9 kernel ( via ncftp), and tried
> to compile a kernel.  The kernel compiles just fine, but
> when it boots, the network doesn't work.

Are the modules being installed in the correct directory? I know with 8.0
Mandrake chose some funky naming convention for `uname -r', which hosed
the EMU10K1 (sblive) CVS installs.

>   ifup cannot open network socket: address family not supported by
>      protocol.
>   device does not seem to be present:  delaying lo init
>   cannot locate module lo
>   bringing up lo : failed.
>
> The same thing happens with my tulip network card ( tulip.o exists).
>
> Also it reports something about 'net-pf-16' module not found.

Try:

depmod -a `uname -r` -F /boot/System.map-`uname -r`

then

modprobe af_packet

> I did a make oldconfig to get the initial settings, then I
> went in to xconfig and made some adjustments.  None of the
> 2.4.9 kernels i tried worked.

Haven't tried 2.4.9 yet with 8.1 beta.

> This was the reason I dumped mandrake 8.0. ( I had a system I couldn't
> upgrade to a newer drm kernel).
>
> Questions:
>
>   1.  What's up with the network?

Nothing, as far as I can tell. I'd shy away from 2.4.9 at the moment,
though--people are having SERIOUS problems with the use-once aging
algorithm that was tossed into the kernel (much like the latest EMU10K1
incident).

>       Has anybody else run into this problem?

Seen some of them, see above.

>       has the buggy compiler problem been fixed ( ala redhat 7.0)?

Fixed a long time ago. You're safe using "2.96[...]"

>       How do i fix it?

If I knew for sure, I'd be getting paid $$$ instead of attending
school. =)

Seriously, have you checked mandrakeuser.org ?

>   2.  Why doesn't the mkd install ask for the second cd?

It asked me. I think it has to do with your package selection in the
general menu.

>   3.  Why can't I get the emacs package to run?

Honestly, see mandrakeuser.org.

>  99.  How dare mdk make a distribution that doesn't have
>       emacs loaded on it?

Vim, man. Mandrake was just helping ya out. =)

---
Dan Chen                 crimsun at email.unc.edu
GPG key: www.cs.unc.edu/~chenda/pubkey.gpg.asc