[TriLUG] mandrake 8.1

Brett Bolen brettb at nc.rr.com
Wed Aug 22 15:15:47 EDT 2001

Thanks Daniel Chen,

> Hrm, it prompted me for the second CD in both "recommended" and
> "expert" install modes. I guess it depends on your overarching package
> category selection (desktop computer, etc.).

hmm, I did not see it.  I installed 3 times.

When you boot mandrake8.1, does it complain about the second stage
loader?  Mine put's up a dialog box and complains about the
kernel image.  I press ok, and about 60 seconds later it
goes into graphical setup and it continues from there.

Where does it ask if you have two cds?

> Does ncftp rpm -i correctly?

Yes.  Well 'rpm -U ncftp*rpm' works. ( Obviously I'm
talking about the 2.4.8-5mdk kernel.  with the kernels
i compile i have no net.)  The same command with
ftp doesn't work.  the 'software installer' tool
doesn't seem to do anything.

> > .. network doesn't come up ...

> Try:
>
> depmod -a `uname -r` -F /boot/System.map-`uname -r`
>
> then
>
> modprobe af_packet

The first line gives 5 #'d lines, and the second says module
not found.

> > I did a make oldconfig to get the initial settings, then I
> > went in to xconfig and made some adjustments.  None of the
> > 2.4.9 kernels i tried worked.
>
> Haven't tried 2.4.9 yet with 8.1 beta.

I have the same problem with all of the 2.4.x kernels.  In fact
I had the same problem in mandrake 8.0.

lo wouldn't come up, and neither would eth0.

> Seriously, have you checked mandrakeuser.org ?

I'm looking at it now.

> >   2.  Why doesn't the mkd install ask for the second cd?
>
> It asked me. I think it has to do with your package selection in the
> general menu.

Where/when does it ask you?  Do you have the boot problem i
mentioned earlier?

> >  99.  How dare mdk make a distribution that doesn't have
> >       emacs loaded on it?
>
> Vim, man. Mandrake was just helping ya out. =)

I can tell that you are very smart, and very courtious for
answering my questions.  I appreciate the help you have
given me, and I hope you  will continue, but....  Emacs
enlightment comes to people at different ages.

thanks man,

b²