[TriLUG] sendmail clarification

anomad at npav.com anomad at npav.com
Thu Aug 23 17:53:53 EDT 2001

. m'kay, this is for you sendmail guru's -

. i'm subscribed to a yahoo group that i'd actually _like_ to receive mail
from, but only one out of thirty or so messages actually get to me.

. on my red hat system, i see an awful lot of
Aug 23 16:20:28 gibbon sendmail[19836]: NOQUEUE: Null connection from
n25.groups.yahoo.com [216.115.96.75]
Aug 23 16:27:42 gibbon sendmail[19876]: NOQUEUE: Null connection from
n35.groups.yahoo.com [216.115.96.85]
Aug 23 16:27:42 gibbon sendmail[19877]: NOQUEUE: Null connection from
n35.groups.yahoo.com [216.115.96.85]

 in /var/log/maillog

. researching the problem, i found this on sendmail.org

" An entry like: NOQUEUE: Null connection from host.domain [IP.AD.DD.RESS]
in the logfile means that host.domain connected to your MTA but didn't
issue any commands. Unless this happens very often, you can ignore this.
If it happens very often, it's either someone playing around or it's a
network problem.  "

. so, assuming Yahoo isn't 'playing around' what do they mean by network
problem ?

. i receive all other mail (including this list) to my addr. fine,  but
Yahoo seems to have issues sending me mail.  they're not in any
filters/spam killers so i'm not sure what their deal is.

. comments/suggestions ?

-james
(a nomad. )