[TriLUG] Thinkpad T21 : removable floopy vs. removable cdrom

Heath Holcomb bluetea at nc.rr.com
Fri Aug 24 18:04:53 EDT 2001

Glen Ford wrote:
> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
>>Glen Ford wrote:
>>
>>>I am running RedHat 7.1 kernel 2.4.3 on an IBM Thinkpad T21.
>>>
>>Off this particular, I have just been considering buying a T21.
>>Are you, Linux, and the T21 all a happy family?

[snip]

> It is a little early to give you a definitive answer. I have been using
> T21/linux for about two weeks.  What I can say is:
> 	- redhat 7.1 loaded fine.
> 	- kernel upgrade to 2.4.3 worked fine
> 	- apm seems to work.  I have not used power management for any time
> greater than 10 minutes
> 	- I went from 6.2 to 7.1, so there were things I had not expected:
> 		- xinetd
> 		- dig instead of nslookup
> 	- Coverted my ipchains to iptables.
> 	- my php/mysql combo got upgraded and "things" did not work quite
> right. I mucked around with rebuilding php-4.0.4pl1
> 	- I am die hard fvwm user, so took some time to get that to my liking.
> 	- Vmware works fine.  Although I am currently trying to get samba to
> work.
>

> /Glen

I've got one as well, and I'm very happy with it. I've got a similar
setup with RH 7.1. I was able to get my token ring, ethernet and
wireless PCMCIA cards all working with fairly minimal hassle. APM seems
to work fine. I can suspend and my sound still works when I restore,
which was a problem on some of the other Thinkpad models I've used,
notably the A21m. But that may just have been RH 7.0. Generally it's
very responsive (I've got 512 megs of RAM, not sure what the default is)
and the display looks great. I can swap my CD/DVD-ROM and my floppy out
without rebooting (not exactly hot-swap, because I do have to suspend
first). Supposedly there's a piece of software out there somewhere that
will let you do a real-hot swap. As far as laptops go, it's a pretty
good environment for Linux - the hardware all works with little or no
tweaking.

Heath

--
Heath Holcomb