[TriLUG] Defragmentation

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Aug 28 20:25:04 EDT 2001

On a system with *large* files that fills up fairly often, you will suffer
some fragmented files; however, if you have a fairly large drive that never
fills up, then you will never (or rarely) end up with fragmented files.  As
an example, our company's main file server has been accumulating files for
well over two years now and has less than 2% fragmentation.

I used to worry about fragmentation, and kept an eye on it for quite
awhile, but since it was never a problem, I've scratched it off my list (at
least for my Linux servers...)

YMMV, so worry if you want to, or just get some large drives and hum
quietly with a smile on your face...

Jon