[TriLUG] Re: Typing umlauts on an english keyboard

Stephen Ball stephen at lords.com
Tue Aug 28 17:28:12 EDT 2001

I just caught hold of this thread so sorry if this fix has been mentioned but
has anyone suggested the Multi_Key?  You can setup Xmodmap to configure a key
as the multi_key, right now I'm using the righthand tux (windows) key.  What
it does is act as a starter key for ascii combinations, for example:
multi_key, ", o (typed in sequence) gives an ö (o with an umlat is that
doesn't display correctly).  I haven't found a complete list of the multi_key
combinations but have found quite a few through trial and error and will be
happy to write up what I know if that would help.

Here's a copy of my .Xmodmap:

keycode 0x74 = Multi_key
keycode 0x73 = Escape
keycode 0x31 = Escape
keycode 0x09 = grave  asciitilde

--
Stephen Ball | http://www.stephenball.net

"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to
time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."
                -- Oscar Wilde, "The Critic as Artist"