[TriLUG] NICe kNowledge to have...

Bryan Kelly bryankelly at ktti.com
Sat Sep 1 01:26:00 EDT 2001

Gang,

I have a couple of questions about a nuisance that I haven't been able
to solve. First, let me mention that I have Roadrunner access on my
laptop, running basically RH6.1.

Issue #1, the cable that plugs into the NIC comes out fairly easilty.
Sometime when it is out I cannot get the modem to restore the
connection. Normally, I just lauch netcfg as root and deactivate
followed by reactivating the ppp connection on eth0. But sometimes it
doesn't work. I  believe netcfg basically runse some network scripts in
the /etc/*/ directory. When this doesn't work, what is the next thing to
try? If tried ifconfig eth0 down and then back up again and I have tried
to get pump to renew the address, but neither seem to have any effect.
The only think I know to do is to shutdown and then reboot which brings
me to the second question.

Issue#2, following the scenario above, I shutdown and the sequence
begins, only it hangs when it gets to ...shutting down eth0... for many
minutes. How can I get around this? cancel
this part of the shutdown, ect?

bryan