[TriLUG] Firewall/Masquerading on RH 7.1

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Sep 1 23:23:26 EDT 2001

I'm running Red Hat 7.1 on my machines at home.  I only
have one (functioning) modem, and I was planning to set
up IP Masquerading.

I have the 2.4.x kernel that was included with Red Hat 7.1.
I configured a few simple firewall rules with Red Hat 7.1,
but from what I can tell, that firewall is using ipchains.
I read the Firewall HOWTO, so now I feel pretty comfortable
with ipchains.  Looking at the newer IP Masquerade HOWTO,
there's a lot of information about IPTABLES on 2.4.x kernels.

So, I have one question...
Given that I have a very simple configuration (3 machines, one
phone modem), and I simply want to make sure that the machine
on the modem denies most incoming traffic from the modem (ppp0)
and that the other machines can share the modem with IP MASQ,
should I read all about iptables and move my firewall rules
(very simple at the moment) over to iptables?  Or should I stick
with ipchains?  Basically, is there any compelling reason for
me to go through the trouble of moving to iptables if I just
want transparent SSH and web access to the public network from
my home network without opening up my network to problems like
the Ramen worm, which I got over my phone modem earlier this
year :-p?

Thanks,
----Tom