[TriLUG] NICe kNowledge to have...

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Sep 4 13:27:40 EDT 2001

This isn't going to be extremely helpful, but...

 - Replace your network card, with one that has an X-Jack connector.  Never,
never, never get a PCcard that has a simple slide in/pull out connector,
because that is exactly what it will do: pull out, and when you need it
most...
 - Buy an el cheapo firewall like a linksys box  ($120) and plug your cable
connection straight into it, then you pull you network off of that.  Run
wild and free behind this and then don't worry, be happy.

 - Have you tried pulling your network card and then re-inserting it?  If
your PCMCIA is working correctly, and your network scripts are working
correctly, then it should all work fairly fast - everything that is except
for the loooong wait for RoadRunners DHCP servers to honor your request for
an IP address (which would be avoided by the use of a small firewall...)

Jon