[TriLUG] sysadmin data collection tool

Mike Broome mbroome at employees.org
Tue Sep 4 16:58:02 EDT 2001

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 03:04:00PM -0400, John Beimler wrote:
> begin  quotation from Donald Ball <balld at webslingerz.com> [on 010904 14:51]::
>
> > an idle thought occured to me recently. when your linux system is acting
> > strangely, wouldn't it be nice to have one command you can run to save a
> > good subset of the current system state information for later perusal and
> > comparison? is there such a beast? i'm thinking something like netstat +
> > free + ps + vmstat + etc. or maybe just a tarball of /proc.
> >
> RedHat has/had a tool that created a tar ball that did most of this that
> someone posted here at some point, hopefully they can chime in again..

I think the tool you are thinking of is /usr/sbin/sysreport.  This comes
from the sysreport-1.2-1 RPM on my RH7.1 system.  It's a shell script
that gathers a lot of interesting and pertinent info into a tarball.  I
was looking at using it from a cron job to help backup some of the
important system info.  It needs a little work before it can be used
that way since it prompts for user input at two points.

Mike

--
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org