[TriLUG] Roadrunner access

Don Brady dbrady at pobox.com
Tue Sep 4 23:31:55 EDT 2001

At 10:54 PM 9/4/2001 -0400, John Franklin wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 09:05:39PM +0500, Tom Bryan wrote:
> > I think that I've finally decided to sign up for RoadRunner if they
> offer it
> > in my area (20 miles outside of Raleigh, no DSL here).  Before I make the
> > plunge, is there anything about the Triangle's cable modem access that I
> > should know.  I'm sure I'll be back soon to ask questions about
> > configuration, security, etc.  I'm sure that I'm going to get minimal
> support
> > from TW judging by this page: http://www.nc.rr.com/rr/qualify/default.htm
>
>Cheaper than DSL, faster than DSL,

Debatable.  With the rollout of mini-DSLAM's to the DLC's, most people in
BellSouth territory now have access to TelocityDirectv which is comparable
in price for 1500 / 256 .  Actually DSL is $10 cheaper if you do not have
cable already.

As to faster, there are two aspects to speed - raw throughput and
latency.    Road Runner has had latency problems at times.  Also some
people are reporting 50 KB/sec caps on ftp speeds - I do not know if this
is true or not.

Telocity/Direct will roll a BellSouth truck same day if need be, if you
cannot connect and call during business hours.  They did for me.

And they have Unix/Linux in their installion guide.

>only one idiot company that can break
>it instead of three for DSL.  '

Oh ok you are talking about the older Covad style DSL rather than the newer
Telocity/Direct offering.