[TriLUG] Hardware recommendations (IDE CDROM, Zip disk, firewall)

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Wed Sep 5 20:58:52 EDT 2001

I'm still putting some finishing touches on one of my Linux boxes, and I was
wondering if anyone had any good/bad hardware advice.

1) IDE CDROM
The box has a SCSI CDRW, but it doesn't have a CDROM.  I just need something
for software installs, music listening, an occasional CD copying (a
Windows-only coworker finally took the plunge and installed Linux on an old
laptop).  The CDRW is very noisy, and I was hoping to get a quite IDE CDROM
with decent speed.

2) Zip disk
My wife would like to have a Zip drive for immediate backups (I'll probably
script some rsyncing to the thing) and large file sharing.  My development
machine has a SCSI card, but I see that Iomega also makes a USB zip drive.
Has anyone tried either or both?  I liked the SCSI idea, but with an external
USB device, I may actually be able to use the thing on other computers (at
work, my parents' machine, etc.)

3) firewall
I signed up with RoadRunner.  It should be installed next week.  I have a
fileserver/e-mail box (Pentium) and my main development box (Athalon).  Right
now, I'm using IP Masquerading through the fileserver to get connectivity to
the rest of the house.  Even with a good ipchains ruleset (which I probably
don't have yet), I don't really want to make my fileserver a firewall for a
broadband connection.  I was thinking about getting a little firewall device,
but I don't know anything about them.  Are these things worth the price?  I'd
still try to maintain a good firewall on the fileserver: I just don't want a
machine running NFS, apache, etc. to be my first line of defense. :)

---Tom