[TriLUG] Book recommndation for newbie

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 5 16:41:57 EDT 2001

From: "Fred Stutzman" <stutzman at email.unc.edu>
To: "TRILUG" <trilug at trilug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Book recommndation for newbie

> Unix System's Administrator Handbook by Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass, and Hein
> is an excellent choice.
>
> The downside is it is expensive (68 I think but you can get it for less at
> fatbrain.com) and is written for people of a higher intellect than those
> reaching for 'Redhat linux for complete idiots'. ;) (wait, is that really
> a downside? i guess my point is that is is not just a beginner's book)
>
> The upside is 1,2,3 years down the road you will still use this book the
> most out of any Unix Admin books, and thank yourself every time for buying
> it.
>
> Fred

Yup, that is a good book!

The nutshell Samba book is also wonderful, and it is on-line for your easy
perusal.  Check out that book for all your Samba computing needs.  I don't
know if Red Hat defaults to installing "cups", but you should be able to
find an RPM for it fairly easily.  Try using cups to set up your printer.

Jon