[TriLUG] A little off topic

Jonathan Magid jem at metalab.unc.edu
Fri Sep 7 11:29:48 EDT 2001

On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Justin Johnson wrote:

> Not to mention there is NO WHERE in the US Constitution that allows the Federal
> Govrnment
> to control how a company sells it's wares.

Now I'm as constitutionally strict-constructionist as the next guy (and
probably much more than most), but this is just not true. The constitution
(article I section 8) give congress the power "To regulate commerce
with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian
tribes". Microsoft is engaged in both interstate and international
commerce and thus can be regulated. The supreme court has ruled on
anti-trust laws many many times by many different courts and the basic
concept has continually been found to be constitutionally worty
(http://www.antitrustcases.com/by_date.html).

cheers,
jem.

--
Global Village Idiot
Email: jem at sunsite^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hmetalab^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hibiblio.org