[TriLUG] VMWare: Linux base, or Windows?

James Manning jmm at computer.org
Fri Sep 7 16:16:37 EDT 2001

[Rodent of Unusual Size]
> Does anyone have an opinion about which is the better base
> system for VMware?  If I want to run both W2K Pro and Linux
> on my laptop, should I install W2K and then Linux
> in a VM, or should I install Linux and W2K in a VM?
>
> Personally, I would prefer the latter -- but I have heard
> rumours about non-robustness in the native Linux VMware
> version..

1) Dual-boot, of course, but I'll have to assume that's out as a
   possibility, even though it didn't get mentioned :)

2) VMware 3.0's beta, at least on the Linux boxes here at work,
   *rocks* *my* *world* it's so fast and solid... droool

but, to be fair:

http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_faqs.html

	Should I Buy the Linux Version or the Windows NT/2000 Version?

	 If you use Linux more than Windows, buy the Linux version. If
	 Windows NT or Windows 2000 is your main environment, buy the
	 Windows version. Both work equally well, and VMware worlds are
	 portable across the two versions.
--
James Manning <jmm at computer.org>
GPG Key fingerprint = B913 2FBD 14A9 CE18 B2B7  9C8E A0BF B026 EEBB F6E4