[TriLUG] DMCA II - Electric Boogaloo

H. Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Sat Sep 8 12:14:34 EDT 2001

I'm sure some have seen the /. story, but our neighbor to the south, Sen.
Fritz Hollings (D-SC) is planning to introduce the next generation of DMCA
- the SSSCA.  From looking at the draft of the bill, it will make it
illegal ($500,000 fine or five years in prison for the first offense,
baby!) to sell/use/provide/make any "digital device" that does not have
digital rights management embedded in it.  Who gets to decide what kind of
DRM?  "representatives of interactive digital device manufacturers and
representatives of copyright owners."

This could get ugly.

Full text: http://www.politechbot.com/docs/hollings.090701.html
/. story: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/09/08/0238200

--Wade

--
Do your part in the fight against injustice.
Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  http://www.freesklyarov.org/